Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Course Reflections

Coming to the end of the course, my feelings are tinged with regret that it was over all too fast. 13 weeks is hardly enough to cover even half of what truly constitutes communications, even though we certainly did try. Still, I learned more about communications than I have ever did in my life, and this knowledge has already manifested itself in many of the daily interactions, leading to new insights on how people communicate with one another. The skills learned (resume writing, job interviews, presentations) were also the most useful and relevant things I have learned in NUS, in contrast to many theoretical lectures that hold no further value once out in the working world. I applaud those who came up with this course, for I am sure many students both before and after me will benefit deeply from these skill sets that are taught.

Perhaps more important than the knowledge I gained, are the friends I made in the class. Each of them kindred spirits, forging a bond between everyone of us that I am sure will not be broken even when the class ends. Through all the different things that we were made to do (OP, Job interviews etc), I got to see the many different quirks and habits that make all of us tick. For example, to be able to witness first hand Chaun Ting's 'pride' in her mannerisms, Vanessa's awesome tolerance level, makes me thankful of the course, for only through this would I have known such individuals so 'intimately', giving each and every one an individualism I would never have seen in any other modules in NUS.

Last but not least, kudos to our teacher, Brad Blackstone, who somehow manages to turn something that would seem to be boring lessons on writing into one which I eagerly turn up for, week in, week out, knowing that every lesson promises to have I can benefit from.

Cheers,
Jake

7 comments:

  1. Hey Jake,

    I'm glad you found so many new experiences, skills and knowledge, and made some good friends too. Personally, I think you have a good head on your shoulders, and I could foretell that from the beginning of the semester, even if you wrote in your first post that you somehow don't have what it takes when it comes to interpersonal or intercultural interactions. What you didn't have was really confidence and just simply getting yourselves into practice situations of an intercultural and interpersonal nature. But then that was the purpose of ES2007s, to facilitate and accelerate your learning when you feel unconfident and uncomfortable as you get to become more comfortable, confident in interpersonal and intercultural interactions.

    Furthermore, you learned the value of OP and interviews, and you gotten more value out of ES2007s than you first expected.

    However you could tell us about 1 specific experience in ES2007s that you set apart from the rest, and felt most positively affected by, I think that would be highly well-received by me as well as fellow coursemates and Brad himself.

    Overall, your post is a little longer than mine, but I suppose nobody would complain! Haha!

    I'm so proud of you Jake! Go out there and make your Brad proud of his means!

    Cheers to Jake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much, Jake, for the reflection and for the accolades. It's reassuring to know that you appreciate what you have learned in the course. You mention that one of the "gains" in ES2007S is having the opportunity to get to know classmates "intimately." I have a couple reactions to that. One is that I find it comforting to know that within the framework of our assignments, lots of interaction is not just encouraged but required. What is great to see is how quickly students like you and the others respond to the tasks involved and then go a step further by actually developing meaningful relationships. That's what not just a university education but life should be about.

    You made a very fine effort this term, Jake, contributing to the class discussions by asking questions, offering insights, engaging your peers and generally bringing a real personable warmth to our sessions. I appreciate that a lot, and I wish you the very best for your future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jake Jake Jake...

    I would probably remember you as the first person I talked to during the first lesson, apart from the fact that you were also religiously Mousehunting on facebook in your free time!
    The class has definitely developed a sense of closeness that is unusual for (mostly) total strangers in one semester, much less coming from various faculties.

    Wish you all the best in your remaining time in NUS! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear (Coordinator) Jake!

    Yes yes! Our project group definitely has the best chemistry and you and Stella are definitely among the most wonderful project group mates I've ever had! Thanks so much for making this module so enjoyable for me!

    All the best for your remaining semesters in NUS and feel free to ask me questions about UoT before going over! I'll be glad to help! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mark:

    Hey Mark, thanks for the comment! The reason I didn't put any specific experience down is because, more than learning anything, I appreciate the 'Human' side of the course more! Of course its been great learning all those things, but it was due to everyone in the class that made it so fun and outstanding. =)

    Brad:

    Thanks Brad! The 'Human' side is something that I value above most other things, and I really appreciate getting to know everyone in the class! Thanks once again for teaching me so much, and I do hope that I've warmed your heart! =)

    Greg:

    Lol I've already said much of what I want to say in your blog, so guess I'll just say that its been real nice getting to know you. =)

    Hwee Teng:

    Same for you too Hwee Teng! Read your blog's comments! =P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Jake!

    Would you like to elaborate on my mannerisms? I would really like to know more about the impression I give others!

    Anyway, it was a great semester with ES2007s (WOOHOO!!!). Thanks for being such a b**** who never fail to make us laugh before class! Thanks for ending the class with a BANG (*JAKE DANCES WITH THE POT FOR CONTAINER FARMING)

    All the best to you especially for core modules!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete