Sunday, April 10, 2011

Oral Presentation Reflections


Hi people! Here goes my reflections on the oral presentation done on Friday 8th April.

Firstly I would like to apologise to my two lovely group members, for I thought that my part could have been much better, and I might have caused our marks to be lower than what we should be getting.

With regards to the presentation itself, I found that being the first person of the first group to present was quite nerve-wrecking, in spite of the multiple practices that I had done both individually and with the group. My non-verbal communications were particularly bad, with leg shifting and my eyes straying all over the place, which Jing Horng kindly pointed out to me. Strangely, I was not able to detect these movements while I was presenting, as these 'signs of nervousness' were actually just usual habits of mine, regardless of whether I feel nervous or not.

Also, there was a point where I fumbled for words, leading to observations that I had memorised from a script prior to the presentation. As much as its going to sound like me trying to be defensive about my mistakes, I can honestly say that this was not a result of trying to recite from a script. Rather, due to the many times that I had rehearsed for the presentation, the style and wordings of each slide had sort of been internalised. So, when I read that particular sentence out of whack, having put the word problem in front instead of at the back, no suitable substitution came to mind immediately, leading to the fumbling.

I can't really find any good points for my part of the presentation, but Hwee Teng and Stella were, in my opinion, excellent in all aspects of the presentation, being very in control of the content and exuding confidence that the proposal was in fact both viable and beneficial. I thank them for giving such an excellent presentation that the class were convinced of the benefits of our proposal, and of course, the very awesome teamwork we showed! =)

9 comments:

  1. Nice post, I like it!

    I think your presentation team demonstrated good flowing structure which led people to think good teamwork was involved, but I think personally it was more good flowing structure and organization that happened good teamwork, and the two are separate qualities, and tend to be conflated, but not that there is anything wrong doing so, because after all, the presentation was good because people thought good teamwork existed!!

    As for yourself, apart from showing us good teamwork and content structure, you could have shown us more passion, inflection, speed and force, linguistic expression, by changing these, or making new variables (creative) every 20 seconds, because that is key to holding the attention of your world class audiences, and you would come across as world class yourself!!


    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jake!

    I do agree that you appeared to be more nervous during the actual oral presentation. However, I felt that the content delivered was similar to that during the mock OP session. Hence, I believe that you internalized your presentation 'speech' and it did not come from memory.

    Besides, the clear delivery, your made a good transition to the next speaker! I guess you were just too nervous during the presentation as you were the first speaker (I totally understand how you felt).

    Thank you once again for your group seamless and coherent presentation! :D

    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey people!

    Mark: Thanks for the comment! I'll keep your suggestions in mind. =)

    Chuan Ting: Thanks so much for the support! As fellow 'first-speakers', I think we both did a pretty good job =P.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr Gan,

    This comment is long overdue.

    The delivery was good, clear and loud. You recovered well from the mild fumbling so that was good as well. The amount of movement while presenting was also reduced compared to our peer teaching days.

    Eye contact and gestures were good as well, though there was a little nervousness, probably being the first in the class to start the oral presentation. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jake!

    Great job on your presentation! You and your group certainly set the standard high for the rest of us =/

    Your loud voice came through once again, very clear delivery and you made it interesting for me. I completely understand how you felt when you were talking about the nerves getting to you, but you pulled it off very well! I did notice you look down a few times but that was very minor.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello group mate!

    There's really no need to apologize to us! You did relatively well, with good voice projection and adequate gestures, just that there was some fumbling here and there. But I do not think that it is due to lack of practice because we had plenty of practices! I believe that you will be able to overcome your nervousness with more exposure to presenting.

    I'm glad to be able to work with you and Stella in the same group as well! We had excellent teamwork! :D

    Hwee Teng

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Hwee Teng,

    We do have excellent teamwork don't we? I seriously don't know why the three of us click so well, but I'm so glad we do! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Jake! :)

    I like your grp's ppt slides. The ideas were presented in a very clear and logical manner between each members. Smooth transitions from problems -> solutions -> benefits. Great teamwork!

    Your intonation was good and your pacing during the presentation was pretty fine, only a few hiccups where you fumbled slightly which i believe you certainly can improve with more practice and experience in future presentations.

    cyn :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jake!

    As a group:

    Persuasiveness:
    The first part about seriousness of food dependency was not a very strong argument to me. Brief explanations about the concept of urban farming could be given first since it is not a common idea. Similar ideas like container farming, hydroXX, ect could be explained as well. Just like how stella explained the concept of urban heat and island effect.

    Story flow:
    The structure of the problem-solution set was clear and easy to follow. However, an outline of presentation at the start would help.
    PowerPoint was nicely designed, simple and elegant. Personally, I would prefer more pictures to be added. It is good that the numbers which can be hard to capture were stated in large fonts in the slides.
    The stage props helped to grab audiences’ attention.
    The conclusion was forceful and persuasive. It would also be nice to include rooftop farming into future work.
    Lastly, I think it will be less distracting if there were no member standing behind the presenter.

    For you, Jake, I think you are very confident. Your voice projection and eye contact was very very good. It seemed to me that you are a good presenter by nature!

    Great work!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete