Friday, March 4, 2011

intercultural differences (tiger moms vs the liberal)

This argument about kids happened in suburban America, between Mrs Tan, a ‘tiger mum’, and Mrs Kail, a liberal American.

Mrs Tan’s son, Jim, had just returned from school, holding in his hands his school report, which he gave to his mother. Apparently unsatisfied with the results, she grew angry, the color of her face changing to red. She proceeded to shout and scream, scolding Jim mercilessly for not getting the results SHE knew he was capable of. The loud voices attracted the attention of Mrs Kail, who lived next doors. Thinking something was wrong, she looked into Mrs Tan’s house, and was alarmed to see Jim getting scolded in such a harsh manner. She immediately called out to Mrs Tan, and started trading words with her. Their argument escalated to such an extent that Mrs Kail actually threatened to call in the police, wanting to report the incident as a case of child abuse. Mrs Tan was understandably baffled and upset at what she thought was an intrusion into a private matter, and that Mrs Kail should mind her own business, given that she never interfered with how Mrs Kail taught her kids.

Looking at this conflict, we can see the obvious cultural difference between Mrs Tan and Mrs Kail. Mrs Tan is a ‘tiger mum’, a phrase coined by Ms Amy Chua to describe mothers who parent their kids using the ‘Chinese way’, which involves scolding and corporal punishments. The ‘moderate’ way of parenting however, tends to avoid these ‘hard’ punishments, preferring to use methods like grounding and withholding of privileges as punishments instead.

Personally, I think that there is no ‘correct’ way of parenting, as can be seen from the deluge of parenting books out in the market, all recommending different styles of parenting. We should be more tolerant of others and open-minded too, because for all we know, we could learn from things that seem ‘unorthodox’ or ‘wrong’ to us at first!

9 comments:

  1. Hi Jake,

    It was a fine post. I think we should ask Brad to give us an expert view on conservatives versus liberals, since that is an American domain. It has something to do with culture too, I'm sure. You could ask him directly in class.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jake, yes there may be a lot of cultural differences between how the Chinese and Western parents treat their children. However, I think it is really a stereotype. I am sure not all Chinese parents use the cane in bringing their children up, or all American parents use "methods like grounding and withholding of privileges". Ultimately, it depends on the parents to decide which method is more effective for the child.

    Just a minor error in your post. "The loud voices attracted the attentions of Mrs Kail, who lived next doors." Instead, I think it should be, "The loud voices attracted the attention of Mrs Kail, who lived next door."

    See you in class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Luqman,

    Thanks for the advice! Don't know how I missed that error..must be the self correcting thingy.. =(

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh by the way, yeah I realised its a stereotype, but I was just trying to illustrate the cultural difference in this example. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jake!

    I do agree with Luqman that the difference in the teaching of children is a stereotypical assumption. However, I think that I made the same mistake in my blog post as well. I have to say that this blog post topic is difficult and it's hard to prevent it from being stereotypical. So I would say, nice try there! Let's work harder for the next post together, research group mate! :D

    Hwee Teng

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an interesting description of a fictional situation, Jake, and a fairly appropriate interpretation, I suppose. (It is fictional, right?) I have to admit though, whenever I read the word "Western," I get a bit of a shock. The West? Does that place even exist? What countries does it include? The UK & the US? Norway? Mexico? Peru (up the Amazon)? Cuba? Israel? Turkey? Serbia? Russia? Armenia? Morocco?

    And how may people live "there"? And what values and norms do they have? And how many liberals are there? And what does liberal mean?

    You see the problem.

    I guess there is a certain stereotypical "tiger mum," but would that differ from Thailand to Taiwan to Tibet?

    It is true that in the media, for instance for films and TV programs, writers create characters who often do represent stereotypes. You've done something like that in this post, which isn't a bad thing, as long as we know what we are doing and why.

    One point on language use:

    You write:

    "Apparently unsatisfied with the results, the color of her face changed to red, anger showing on it. " >>> Apparently unsatisfied with the results, SHE was angry, the color of her face changing to red.

    Your version is grammatically incorrect. The second version is correct. Do you know why? (Hint: Who was unsatisfied?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Brad I'm equally intrigued by what is liberal and what is West. But I think its good here to follow stereotypical assumptions that West consists of American and Great Britain as the top 2 on the list of Western countries? And their liberalism is interwined with theier individualism and egoism?

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Brad,

    Not sure if you saw this, but Luqman actually asked the same question as you did. I know that the way the post was written has a stereotypical connotation in it, but I was just trying to illustrate the difference. Using the word 'Western' was simply to bring about the impression of liberalism that can be easily identified with by people. Hope this clears up any misunderstandings! =)

    Jake

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to admit, Jake, that I am still skeptical. Of course, I realize that there is a time and place for generalizations. We can say, for example, in light of the recent catastrophe in Japan, that *the Japanese* are dealing with this in a fairly stereotypical manner: *they* are demonstrating admirable calm, *they* are exhibiting amazing patience, and *they* are showing the world once again the sort of community spirit/team-work that *they* are famous for. Using this "they" is a way of describing the general status/situation, which may in fact be a gross overgeneralization. But our stereotypes play a role in allowing us to describe the general scenario.

    Still, if I had my way, we would bury stereotypes, espcially ones like "the West." That one I find expecially unsuitable since it is not clear to me who it includes, and even once it is clear, I think it misrepresents huge swaths of people. It's like saying "Asians," which since that group includes Javanese rice farmers and North Korean soldiers, Mongol goat herders and Hong Kong industrialists, Sinagporean Chinese students at NUS and bar girls in Bangkok, seems absurd to me to lump together. I'd wager that you have more in commmon with me than you do with a Mongol nomad or a bar girl in Patpong, and so I think the generalization falls flat.

    ReplyDelete